Application GuidelinesThe purpose of the Virginia Community College Tobacco Scholarship Program is to provide tuition assistance to certain persons who are now or were formerly associated with the tobacco industry. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a DCC Educational Foundation Scholarship application in addition to this Tobacco Assistance application. All awards are subject to available funding and priority must be given to full-time students. The tobacco scholarship award may not exceed the cost of tuition and required fees minus grant aid received from all other sources. The Financial Assistance Program is funded by the Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission and is considered a last dollar award.
Eligibility is limited to residents of the Virginia tobacco region who were either:
- Recipient must be a tobacco farmer, have an immediate family member who was a tobacco farmer, from 1998-2004 or be a former employee of the tobacco processing industry in Virginia as verified by the 1040 Federal tax return or Indemnification Settlement letter. (A copy of either must be submitted with the application.) Immediate family is defined as: spouse, father, mother, step-father, step-mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, step-grandfather, step-grandmother, father-in-law and mother-in-law.
- Recipients must maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Recipients must be enrolled either full-time or part-time in credit courses at DCC.
- Recipients must complete a Tobacco Financial Assistance Application for EACH semester of enrollment in order to be eligible for Tobacco Assistance.
- Students must complete Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the institutional deadline.
- Upon completion of application, students will also be required to provide one of the following as proof of eligibility:
- Form 156 EZ or MQ 24 obtained from the USDA Farm Service Agency
- Documentation of former employment in the Virginia tobacco processing industry
- Certification of familial relationship to eligible grower, producer, or quota owner
- 1040 Federal Tax Return or the Tobacco Indemnification Settlement payment letter
Student must provide the specified requirement information to:
Danville Community College
Educational Foundation, Inc.
1008 South Main Street
Danville, VA 24541
(434) 797-8437 or 1-800-560-4291
|Education Foundation, Inc.|
DANVILLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Tobacco Financial Assistance Program
This application is to be used to apply for tuition support from the Tobacco Financial Assistance Program. The Financial Assistance Program is funded by the Virginia Tobacco Idemnification and Community Revitalization Commission.
Please enter None or N/A when you have no information for a field.
DCC Empl ID: (If applicable)
Social Security Number: - -
Personal Title: (e.g. Mr., Mrs., Miss., etc.)
Suffix: (e.g. Jr., III, Sr., etc.)
City/County where you live:
How long at this address:
Telephone (include area code): - -
Birth Date (Month/Day/Year): / /
Were you a member of a household with someone directly employed in or receiving income from a tobacco-related occupation?
Who was employed in the tobacco-related occupation?
In what type of tobacco-related occupation were you or the head of your household employed?
Program of study at DCC:
How many credits do you plan to take during this semester at DCC?
When do you plan to begin taking classes? Semester:
Current place of employment:
Average hours per week:
Average monthly take-home pay: $
PARENT INFORMATION: (Optional)
[Are you claimed as a dependent on your parents' tax return? If so, please complete this section.]
Telephone: - -
Telephone: - -
Parents' place/s of employment:
What would you like the Scholarship Selection Committees to know about you?
You must also apply for Federal Financial Assistance.
Information on the Financial Aid Program is available in the DCC Financial Aid Office.
Danville Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, sex, or disability in its programs or activities.