HLT 110 Syllabus
Division: Arts and Sciences Date: February 2014
Curricula in Which Course is Taught: First Year Studies, or any AAS program that requires a HLT/PED elective
Course Number and Title: HLT 110, Concepts of Personal and Community Health
Credit Hours: 2-3 Hours/Wk Lecture: 2-3 Hours/Wk Lab: Lec/Lab Comb: 2-3
I. Catalog Description: Studies the concepts related to the maintenance of health, safety, and the prevention of illness at the personal and community level.
II. Relationship of the course to curricula objectives in which it is taught: The course relates to the ability of DCC graduates to develop and/or refine personal wellness goals and to make informed decisions about them.
III. Required background: ENF 2 as a prerequisite
IV. Course Content:
a. Healthy Change Invitation
b. Mental/Spiritual Well-Being
c. Stress Management
d. Taking Care of Your Mind
e. Joy of Fitness
g. Managing Your Weight
k. Preventing Major Disease
l. Avoiding Infectious Diseases
m. A Lifetime of Health
V. Learner Outcomes
Upon completion of the course the students
will be able to:
1. Define health and wellness.
2. Make decisions about a lifestyle behavior they want to change.
3. Identify ways of managing time more effectively
4. List the main causes of stress in their life, and a strategy for managing each of them
5. Be familiar with the five components of health related fitness, and develop a strategy to improve at least 2 of them.
6. Describe the health benefits of regular physical activity.
7. Explain how to interpret the nutritional information provided on food labels.
8. Describe the effect on their body of eating fast food regularly.
9. Design a personal plan for sensible weight management.
10. Describe the effects and health risks of common drug use and abuse.
11. Assess the health risks they may have experience as a result of their own or others’ use of alcohol or drugs.
12. Identify specifics of living
healthy, and accessing their current level of physical activity and
Class participation, papers, presentations
and final exam
VII. This course supports the following objectives:
DCC Educational Objectives:
Cultural and Social Understanding