The educational experiences in the JSRCC MLT program are designed to ensure that students are well prepared to enter the profession of Medical Laboratory Technology and continue to learn throughout their professional career. At career entry, the MLT will be proficient in performing a wide range of tests in areas such as hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology/ immunology, coagulation, and urinalysis. At the completion of the JSRCC program, students will be able to:
1. Comply with all standard safety regulations and monitor changes in safety regulations.
2. Perform and evaluate pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical procedures to ensure the quality of laboratory results.
3. Perform laboratory tests, analyze and verify results, and resolve common problems in all the major areas of the clinical laboratories.
4. Obtain acceptable blood and body fluid samples for laboratory tests using standard phlebotomy and collection procedures.
5. Use quality assurance principles and practices to ensure the accuracy and reliability of laboratory information.
6. Perform preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments.
7. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, patients and the public.
8. Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health care professionals and the public.