Types of Aid Available


Federal PELL: The Pell Grant is a federal grant entitlement program, which means that the federal government will pay all applicants who meet all program eligibility criteria. In some cases, an eligible student may receive a Pell Grant if enrolled for less than 6 credits.

Federal SEOG: The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal grant program that is awarded to the "most needy" students. Preference is given to Pell Grant recipients and students with a low family contribution. There are limited SEOG funds and students should have met the priority application deadline to ensure consideration. 

Federal CWSP: The Federal Work-Study Program (FCWSP) is an award from federal and state funds that allows a student to earn money to meet educational expenses. A student must have a financial need to be awarded work-study. A work-study award does not guarantee a job, as the placement of a student into a job will be based upon the available jobs and the student's qualifications to meet the requirements for these available jobs. Work-study employees are usually assigned an average of 12 hours of work per week, and determine with their supervisors a mutually agreeable work schedule. The current wage rate is $7.25 an hour. New employees will have a work-study orientation session explaining the student's rights and responsibilities as well as payment procedures. All new work-study employees will need to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form and provide their driver's license and social security card or other acceptable identification before they may begin working and must take 6 credits.

COMA Grant: The Commonwealth Award (COMA) Grant is a state grant. Recipients must be domiciled in Virginia. 

VGAP Grant: The VGAP Grant is state-funded program. In order to be considered a student must be: a first-time freshman, a dependent, a high school graduate with a high school GPA of at least a 2.5, a Virginia resident, and demonstrate financial need. Recipients must be enrolled as a full-time student to qualify. Recipients must maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain eligible for their VGAP award each semester and must complete a minimum of 24 semester hours each academic year to remain eligible for consideration during the next academic year.

PTAP Grant: The Part-time Tuition Assistance Program Grant is a state grant program. These grants are based on need and are awarded to eligible students who are enrolled for 1 to 6 credits a semester. These grant awards are for the tuition amount only. Recipients must be domiciled in Virginia. 

Stafford Loans: All Stafford Loans are either subsidized (the government pays the interest while you're in school) or unsubsidized (you pay all the interest, although you can have the payments deferred until after graduation). To receive a subsidized Stafford Loan, you must be able to demonstrate financial need.

With the unsubsidized Stafford loan, you can defer the payments until after graduation by capitalizing the interest. This adds the interest payments to the loan balance, increasing the size and cost of the loan.

Stafford Loans allow dependent undergraduates to borrow up to $3,500 their freshman year, $4,500 their sophomore year.  Students must enroll for at least 6 credits.


Contact Information:

Financial Aid Office
1008 South Main Street
Danville, VA  24541
Telephone: 434 797-2222
Other areas in VA: 800-560-4291


1008 South Main St., Danville, VA 24541  |  434.797.2222  |  434.688.0136 (vp)  |  FAX: 434.797.8514  |  Toll-Free: 1.800.560.4291
 Danville Community College promotes and maintains educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, ethnicity, religion, gender, age (except when age is a bona fide occupational qualification), disability, national origin, or other non-merit factors. Danville Community College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence.