About Great Expectations
DCC is one of 18 colleges among Virginia’s Community Colleges that participate in the Great Expectations program, which helps foster children achieve in higher education
The transition from high school to college can be especially challenging
for foster youth.
More than 500 children in the Virginia foster care system age out each
year. Without social or family support foster care children experience
significant challenges living on their own. Within just a few years of
leaving the foster system, the chances of a young person becoming homeless
or going to jail increase.
That's why Virginia's Community Colleges spearheaded the development of
Great Expectations, a program that supports former foster children in their
goal of achieving a college degree.
Great Expectations coaches work with enrolled students at DCC campuses to
ensure their success in community college and beyond, connecting them to
community resources, scholarship opportunities and other support.
Services available through the program include:
· Help applying for college admission and financial aid
· Personalized counseling
· Career exploration and coaching
· Student and adult mentors
· Life skills training, including financial management
Referrals to college, vocational and community resources
· Obtain a Workforce Certificate
· Access to individualized tutoring services
· An internet based resource center at greatexpectations.vccs.edu
How do I qualify?
To be eligible for the Great Expectations program you must:
· be between the ages of 17 and 24
· have been affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System
· be interested in or currently attending Tidewater Community College
· have been adopted from the Virginia Foster Care System after the age of 13
· maintain at least half-time enrollment in an eligible academic program
DCC Main Campus – Wyatt Building, Room 213
1008 South Main Street
Danville, VA 24541