Advisement FAQ'S

  1.   How do I find out who my advisor is?   

Your academic advisor is assigned to you by Division secretaries based on your program of study.  To identify your advisor contact your Division secretary.  During registration, an advisor list is posted on the wall outside the division office.  Consult the division office if you do not see your name on the list.

  1. Do I have to take developmental courses?
    Developmental courses are required of students who score in identified ranges on the Reading, Writing, and Mathematics portions of the VPT placement test.  Developmental courses are also prerequisites for college courses.  If you are required to take developmental course(s), additional semesters may be necessary to complete these developmental requirements.

  2. Do developmental courses count toward my degree?
    Developmental courses do not count toward a degree in the VCCS.  However, they are important because they ensure that students have the knowledge and skills required by college level courses.

  3. How do I change advisors?
    You should request a change of advisor from your Division secretary.

  4. How do I contact my Advisor?
    All faculty advisors post office hours during the regular semester and you may meet with your advisor throughout the semester during these times.  During advisement/registration, an advisement schedule is also posted and you may sign up during available times indicated.

  5. What is a pre-requisite?
    A pre-requisite is a course which you must have passed in order to take some other courses.  Prerequisites are listed in the College Catalog.  For instance, BIO 101 is a pre-requisite for BIO 102.  You must have passed BIO 101 prior to taking BIO 102.

  6. What is a co-requisite?
    A co-requisite is a course which you must take while taking some other course if you have not already passed it.  For instance, ENG 03 is a co-requisite for HUM 165.  You  must enroll in ENG 03 while taking HUM 165 if you have not satisfied the placement requirements needed to exempt ENG 03.

  7. What are focus courses?
    Focus courses are courses linked by a theme and which are required only in the Liberal Arts A.A.& S. program.  A theme can be a discipline area such as Art or a broad topic area such as the family.

  8. How do I pick focus courses?
    You should meet with your faculty advisor and discuss your topic area or theme of interest.  Your advisor will help you to identify courses that support your focus, and document a series of acceptable courses in your student folder.  Possible sequences of focus courses are listed in the College Catalog on the Liberal Arts program page.

  9. How do I change programs?
    To change programs you must meet a college counselor and complete a program change form which must be signed by the counselor.  To set up an appointment with a counselor, call ext 8460 or drop by the Counseling Center in the Wyatt Building.

  10. How do I determine if a particular course counts toward my degree?
    Acceptable courses are listed in the College Catalog under your program of study.

  11. How do I determine if a class will transfer?
    Most transfer level courses taken at DCC will transfer.  These are typically courses that are equivalent in content and scope to a course taken at a 4-year institution.

  12. How do I drop or add a class?
    You may drop a class online in Peoplesoft before the mitigating circumstances deadline in a semester.  These deadlines are printed in the schedule of classes and posted in the college calendar in the College Catalog.  They are also accessible online under Academic Calendar.

  13. What is a mitigating circumstance?
    A mitigating circumstance is an event beyond your control which substantially interferes with your ability to complete a course successfully.

  14. How is my g.p.a. determined?
    Your g.p.a. is the average of your grades in all of your classes based on the number of credits each class is worth.  An "A" is assigned 4.0, a "B" is assigned 3 points, a "C" is 2 points, a "D" is 1 point, and an "F" is 0 points.  These numerical scores are multiplied by the credit hours of the course in which you received a grade.  The result or product is called the "quality points" you receive for a class.  For instance, if you take a two credit hour class and receive a "B" you multiply 3 (the point value of a B) times 2 which gives you 6 quality points for that class.  If you take another class worth 3 credits and receive a "D" then you multiply 1 (the point value of a D) times 3 (the credit value of the class) and receive only 3 quality points (1x3=3).  Your grade point average is determined by adding all your quality points together and then dividing them by total credits of classes used in the summation of your quality points.  If you had taken the two classes above you would add 6 (quality points of the first class) to 3 (quality points of the second class) and obtain 9 quality points.  You then divide 9 (total quality points earned) by 6 (total credits taken).  The result is a 1.5 grade point average.

  15. How do I deal with problems with a course or instructor?
    Your first recourse is to discuss problems with the instructor.  Most problems are easily resolved once a student brings the problem to the instructor's attention.  If discussing the problem with the instructor fails to resolve the issue (or if meeting with the instructor is not a possibility) then you should make an appointment to meet with the division dean who serves as the instructor's immediate supervisor.  In the event that neither the discussion with the instructor nor the meeting with the division dean leads to a resolution of the problem, then a student may file a grievance with the Student Grievance Committee at DCC. 

  16. Do I have to pay for tutoring?
    Tutoring is provided as a free service at DCC.  The LRC should be contacted to schedule tutoring assistance.  Also, tutoring is sometimes integrated into a class as in BSK modules or Learning Communities.

  17. If I withdraw from a class, do I have to pay for it again?
    In general, the answer is "Yes."  However, if you withdraw before the semester's refund deadline you will be refunded your tuition.

  18. Does withdrawing affect my financial aid?
    Yes, if a withdrawal results in your being scheduled in fewer than twelve semester hours you will not be regarded as a full-time student which reduces your award.

  19. Will withdrawing affect my ability to transfer?
    Probably not.

  20. How many times can I take the same class?
    Twice.  A third attempt requires permission from the Admissions Committee, and you must obtain permission by petitioning the committee.  Contact an academic counselor or your Dean for more information.

  21. How many courses will make me full-time?
    12 credits make you a full-time student.

  22. What courses can I take to complete the computer requirement?
    This depends on your program of study.  Some programs require only a 2-credit computer class and others require a 3-credit course.  See your advisor to determine which applies to you.

  23. How do I find out what courses count as social science, fine arts, humanities electives or liberal arts Electives?
    See the links below for a complete list.
              Social Science Electives
              Fine Arts Electives
              Humanities Electives
              Liberal Arts Electives

  24. Can courses be waived for a degree?
    Yes, but this requires a Dean's permission.

  25. If I have had Spanish in high school do I start with beginning Spanish at DCC?
    A "C" or better in two years of high school Spanish allows you to take Intermediate Spanish courses at the 200 level.

1008 South Main St., Danville, VA 24541  |  434.797.2222  |  434.688.0136 (vp)  |  FAX: 434.797.8541  |  Toll-Free: 1.800.560.4291
 Danville Community College promotes and maintains educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, ethnicity, religion, gender, age (except when age is a bona fide occupational qualification), disability, national origin, or other non-merit factors. Danville Community College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence.